Sunday, April 1, 2012

Ambushed!

Have you ever felt ambushed; as though life was going along at a good pace and suddenly you were ko'd by something out of the blue - a job loss, a broken relationship, an illness, failure?

That is how Jesus felt as he entered the Garden of Gethsemane. After the high of Palm Sunday and his triumphal entry into Jerusalem, Jesus was mindful that the end was approaching for him; that soon he would endure tremendous suffering and pain. If there was a way out, he wanted it. And so he prayed the Ambush Prayer: Daddy, you can--can't you--get me out of this?

But, somewhere in the garden that night Jesus realized that what mattered most was not the pain and suffering but the intimacy with God that would be his. Not once he got through his trial, but in the midst of it. And so he prayed: Not what I want but what you want. Because, in the end, what Jesus wanted was the Father.

Maybe you have never been ambushed and maybe you are in the middle of an ambush moment right now. Take heart because you are not alone. Jesus is there with you and will be to the bitter end.

What is your ambush story? Would you be willing to share it?






3 comments:

  1. I have been ambushed by more times in my life than I can count, but through it all has been the love of God and his son, Jesus, pulling me through, supporting me through friends. As I listen to the still, quiet voice that lets me know He is always there for me and my family. I pray that our church family listens for that quiet voice that comes from God to give us His peace. Happy Resurrection Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’VE BEEN AMBUSHED…

    Thrown in jail and then put in front of the firing squad…. Stay of execution…. And run over by a Mac truck.

    Thank you God!!!

    The loss of a 31 year marriage was the ambush, thrown in jail I did to myself, oh poor me!!!, firing squad was the abusive relationship I put myself in after and run over by a Mac truck was the realization of my involvement.

    I know now that when I first started to even think about believing in the possibilities of having a relationship with God is when my life began again.

    In so many ways my thought process began to change… not fast enough of course… but changing all the while. Mostly being able to deal with situations and dealing with the loss of control (good thing)… the best saying ever “Let go and Let God” and when I did I started to see how involved God was in my everyday, I was seeing signs everywhere!! On a wall in someone’s home, and hearing words from people that I never heard before and knowing they mean what they say or that I hear it in a whole different way and it could even be as simple as “God Bless you”….. “OMG”….. “Thank you Jesus”…… Lol but so true, they are not just words to me anymore, I HEAR THEM!!!!

    Well anyway to make a long story longer…Ambushed again (family addiction) I have learned to be able to thank God for the addict in my life…(what a sweet ending) It has been a journey of being ambushed and I have to say that I know that God has had a hand in it all and I’m happy to realize how I need to work on it everyday to keep his hand in it, some days are easier than others… sometimes I stumble over my own prayers. I know just as you said my dear Pastor Chris there is another ambush just around the corner, and I have been blessed because I am able to pray my way into a reasonable state. He has shown me that with my belief there is a resolution, may not be what I’m looking for but then again it’s been more than I ever imagined… I have received it both ways.

    God is my armor
    Bettyann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having been laid off from 3 jobs in 4 years I know what it feels like to be ambushed. Time and time again I have prayed "why?" and "God, can't you." And, while I can't say God has imparted any great wisdom to me, He has been ther--as a shoulder to cry on, words of encouragement from a friend, or the crocuses that grow outside my door in even the coldest weather. I know I will pray the ambush prayer again but at least I know He will hear me and sometimes, I like to think, He will pray it with me.

    ReplyDelete