Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Home Stretch


Luke 19:35-38 and John 14:29-31

Palm Sunday ushers in the final push towards Easter. Jesus enters Jerusalem amid shouts of joy and waving palm branches, the object of Israel’s latest hope for salvation. Finally, a savior has come.

I was reminded on Sunday that I like to celebrate Palm Sunday with pomp and circumstance and continue the celebration by fast-forwarding to Easter morning. I like keeping Easter in a pastel palette. This is especially true when my Lenten Experience wasn’t at all what I had planned.

I have the gift of hindsight; I know joy is coming. However, it is a mistake not to live out every painful moment of Holy Week. In true Jesus fashion everything gets turned upside down. The colors of this week are red and black. The shouts of joy quickly turn to jeers when the people realize that Jesus isn’t what they want Him to be. The first clue is his arrival on a donkey. He isn’t the war hero they desire. Instead, Jesus’ Kingdom will come through service. Jesus wages war not with swords and shields, but with foot washing and prayer and finally, by laying down His body, broken for me. His body and blood poured out, so that I can partake in His kingdom.

He will rise on Easter morning victorious over sin and death, darkness turned to light. The celebration is sweeter when I enter Jerusalem and walk the road to the cross with Jesus. It is sweeter because I learn that you can’t have joy without pain. I learn how to bend down and serve. I learn that when I give myself away I fill up. I learn the unforced rhythms of grace that bring freedom. I learn Jesus’ kingdom is unlike any other. Mostly I remember the pain Jesus suffered in my place. I am humbled once again that Jesus, Lord of all creation, would die for me. - Jill Perrin

Lord, As we go through this week, help us not to skip ahead. Help us walk to the cross with You so that we can experience Your love, grace and mercy fully, coming to Easter morning with joy and gratitude. Amen

For more on Jill's Lent Experience, visit her blog Sacramental Mothering at http://sacramentalmothering.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment